Project title: Scaling e-Science computation-intensive clouds
Host Institution: University of Helsinki
Host Department: Department of Computer Science
Supervisor: Prof. Jussi Kangasharju
Co-Supervisors: Dr. K. K. Ramakrishnan (UC Riverside) and Prof. Ramin Yayapour (GWDG)
The Department of Computer Science at University of Helsinki invites applications for the position of an Early Stage Researcher (ESR) fellowship (PhD position) within the CleanSky Initial Training Network (ITN), to be funded by the Marie Curie Actions of the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission.
The recruited ESR will conduct PhD studies at University of Helsinki located in Helsinki, Finland, visit other network partners for secondments, and attend the training events of the network. The position is fully funded (100% employment) according to the Marie Curie programme, which offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
Design scalable mechanisms for computation-intensive clouds, focusing on computation resources, but also considering storage issues and developing methods for application co-scheduling.
Design and development of suitable mechanisms, their empirical evaluation on real cloud environments. Measurements to validate effectiveness of developed mechanisms. The work requires good practical skills for performing the measurements and empirical tests, as well as a solid understanding of basic cloud mechanisms.
- An excellent Master degree in computer science or equivalent
- Good knowledge of computer networks and distributed systems
- Ability and motivation to conduct high-quality research, including publishing the results in relevant venues
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Good programming skills and knowledge of evaluation methods
- Working experience in the area of cloud computing is advantageous
- Very good communication skills (both written and oral) in English
The selected applicant will conduct his/her PhD studies in the PhD programme of Computer Science at University of Helsinki and must fulfill the requirements of the programme. Applicants can inform themselves about the program and its requirements at http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/en/node/707
The position will remain open until filled.
This position is also listed in EURAXESS.