Project title: Long-term data storage of gene sequencing applications
Host Institution: Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen, Germany
Host Department: eScience Group
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Ramin Yahyapour
Co-Supervisors: N.N. (NTNU, Norway), N.N. (Alcatel-Lucent, Germany)
The Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen, Germany, invites applications for the position of a Early Stage Researcher (ESR) fellowship (PhD position) within the CleanSky Initial Training Network (ITN), to be funded by the Marie Curie Actions of the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission.
The recruited ESR will conduct PhD studies at the University of Göttingen located in Göttingen, Germany, visit other nodes for secondments, and attend the training events of the network. The position is fully funded (100% employment) according to the Marie Curie programme, which offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
The ubiquitous virtualisation of IT resources makes it increasingly important to develop sophisticated strategies and mechanisms to properly manage and schedule these resources and their use within a heterogeneous IT landscape. Novel scenarios like the scale-out of IT services to public Cloud providers or the operation of private Cloud infrastructures demand new research approaches. This project aims at evaluating existing research in the area of resource management and scheduling regarding its application to virtualized infrastructures. Based on the results novel strategies for selected Cloud application scenarios are developed, tested, and evaluated. The work is conducted cooperation with other CleanSky researchers.
- Excellent Master Degree in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline
- Expertise in one of the following areas: resource management and scheduling, cloud computing, or distributed systems
- Hands-on experience in one of the aforementioned topics is of benefit
- Ability and motivation to produce top research results; including the publication and presentation of the results at leading conferences
- Scientific mind-set and ambition to conduct research in small dedicated groups
- Good programming skills are beneficial
- Very good communication skills in English are mandatory
The selected applicant will conduct his/her PhD studies in the PhD programme in Computer Science (PCS) at the University of Göttingen. Applicants should inform themselves about the program.
The position will remain open until filled. The Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen is aiming to increase the ratio of women in those areas, where they are under-represented and explicitly invites applications from women. Severely handicapped applicants will be favoured in case of equal qualification.
The position is also listed on EURAXESS.