Project title: Profiling workloads & user demands in cross-data center cloud
Host Institution: NEC Europe, Germany
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Xiaoming Fu (University of Göttingen, Germany)
Co-Supervisors: Dr. Dirk Kutscher (NEC Europe, Germany), Prof. Jussi Kangasharju (University of Helsinki)
NEC Europe Ltd. in Heidelberg has an opening for the position of a Early Stage Researcher (ESR) fellowship (PhD position) within the CleanSky Initial Training Network (ITN), to be funded by the Marie Curie Actions of the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission in the field of computer networking.
The recruited ESR will work at NEC Europe Laboritories located in Heidelberg, Germany, visit other nodes for secondments, and attend the training events of the network. The position is fully funded (100% employment) according to the Marie Curie programme, which offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
The candidate will investigate intra- and inter data center techniques for optimizing application performance, depending on workload profiles and dynamic application demands. The target is to develop new techniques that can improve performance for individual applications sharing a virtualized infrastructure, for example Information-Centric Networking as one element of a telecommunications carrier cloud system. The work objectives would include profiling application workloads and user demands, designing algorithms and network protocols for application-specific virtual network functions and their management for intra- and inter data center deployments. The research work will be carried out in an international team of researchers.
Applicants are sought with experiences, skills and interest in the following areas:
- Network architecture and protocols
- Software-Defined Networking and Network (Functions) Virtualization
- Information-Centric Networking
- Programming proficiency in C/C++
- Familiarity with software development under Linux/FreeBSD
- Knowledge about or practical experience with data center networks is a plus
- We are looking for individuals with a broad background in the areas of telecommunication and computer networks, and we expect a Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science or equivalent professional experience.
- English is the working language in the Laboratories.
The selected applicant will be supervised within the PhD programme in Computer Science (PCS) at the University of Göttingen. Applicants should inform themselves about the program.
The position will remain open until filled.
A PDF version of the call is available: [ English ]
Please note: applicants are encouraged to submit their materials earlier than the deadline mentioned in the PDF call.
Please note: applicants should apply via the CleanSky ITN application portal on this page rather than via the NEC website.
This position is also listed in EURAXESS.