Project title: Long-term data storage of gene sequencing applications
Host Institution: Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen, Germany
Host Department: eScience Group
Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Ramin Yahyapour
Co-Supervisors: N.N. (Deutsche Telekom Lab, Hong Kong), N.N. (University of Helsinki, Finland)
The Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen, Germany, invites applications for the position of a Experienced Researcher (ER) fellowship within the CleanSky Initial Training Network (ITN), to be funded by the Marie Curie Actions of the 7th Framework Programme of the European Commission.
The recruited ER will conduct postdoc research work at the Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung located in Göttingen, Germany, visit other nodes for secondments, and attend the training events of the network. The position is fully funded (100% employment) according to the Marie Curie programme, which offers highly competitive and attractive salary and working conditions.
The management and especially the long-term storage and preservation of research data remain a challenge. A large number researchers and projects worldwide work on foundations and develop solutions to tackle this challenge. In Göttingen, the gene sequencing community has growing requirements and demand for innovative data management solutions and policies. Within this project, the ER will define specific quality-of-service requirements for long-term storage of gene sequencing data and define a model to describe them. In addition, resource management and scheduling criteria will be defined to be integrated into a scheduling framework also developed within CleanSky The work is conducted cooperation with other CleanSky researchers.
- Excellent PhD in Computer Science or an equivalent discipline
- Expertise in one of the following areas: data management, cloud computing, or distributed systems
- Hands-on experience in one of the aforementioned topics, especially in data management, is of benefit
- Ability and motivation to conduct high-quality research, including publishing the results in relevant venues
- Scientific mind-set and ambition to conduct research in small dedicated groups
- Experience in requirements engineering is advantageous
- Very good communication skills in English are mandatory
The position will remain open until filled. The Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen is aiming to increase the ratio of women in those areas, where they are under-represented and explicitly invites applications from women. Severely handicapped applicants will be favoured in case of equal qualification.
This position is also listed in EURAXESS.